Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sandra's Open Studio Classes for March/April 2013



Sandra’s Open Studio Sessions for Mar/Apr 2013



I am waiting for Spring – tiny buds are showing, the birds insist it’s time and I can wait no longer – Spring is on my mind.  Poetry, journaling, canvasses and collage, mixed with the promise of a new season and what more could an artist want from life.  Last month’s projects taught us the value of finding new uses for simple materials.  This month we will revisit past projects with new eyes, use interesting household objects, stretch our understanding of common techniques and play ‘til the birds come home (there are no cows here).  As promised, I am switching the days, so that Saturday is the first class of the week and Wednesday’s group can experience class with the bugs worked out!  I do hope you’ll join us in the Studio. 





Coming up in the Studio….


Wed. Feb 27  This week we play with toilet paper (I know) and craft foam.  What could we be making?  Come to the Studio and be inspired by Pam Carriker’s unique art materials.  I promise it won’t look like toilet paper and craft foam when we’re done!  Don’t believe me?  Check out the pictures on www.facebook.com/Creatingartnow .  You don’t need to have a Facebook account to see this page.


Sat/Wed Mar 2/6    Join us in the Studio as we build a floral still life in the style of Mike Bernard.  Using bold colours and collage, we will work on canvas to create this edgy piece.  Think funky flowers.  We will be working from a real still life.


Sat/Wed Mar 9/13   One of my favourite artists, Anne Bagby, inspires this painted journal.  Working with deli paper and acrylics, masks and repurposed papers, we will learn techniques to use again and again.


Sat/Wed Mar 16/20   We celebrate the start of Spring with this seriously creative piece of art for the garden. Whether you call it a flag or a banner, you won’t want to wait for Spring to show it off.


Sat/Wed Mar 23/27   I couldn’t resist when I found these wood relief birdhouses.  So much fun and just in time for nest and eggs and birds, oh my!  This collage/assemblage creation will make a lovely home piece to hang on your wall and remind you that winter is fleeting.

Sat/Wed Mar 30/Apr 3   Join me as we revisit gelatin prints.  Learn how to make your own gelatin plate and then print some wonderful and complex papers from the plates I’ve made for you.  There is something so fascinating about prints created from a gelatin plate and you get to take the plate home and do even more prints.  What’s not to like!


Sat/Wed Apr 6/10   As requested, thanks Patricia, we will be creating a mini art quilt using aluminum foil.  Even if you’ve taken this class with me in the past, this version has a new spin and some new materials.  We just haven’t uncovered all there is to learn and how can I resist the opportunity to use such a common material in an artistic way.

Sessions are still $20, materials included and you even get coffee/tea and a treat.  They run 10 am to 1 pm, Saturday and Wednesday (same class, twice).  If you are interested in attending, please confirm via email at sandrasopenstudio@gmail.com and then, tell a friend. 

Check out more about my classes at www.facebook.com/Creatingartnow or on my blog www.creatingartnow.blogspot.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment